+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Integrate Let's Encrypt

Question Integrate Let's Encrypt

Hello everybody,

We use IceWarp Merak since almost 10 years.
    I wonder if you plan to have a partnership with Let's Encrypt, and if you can deploy this technology inside the mail server.

I think it a bigest step to secure mail server without spend time and money.

Do you planned to use/integrate this project in IceWarp Merak ?

Thanks for the answer, Regards.

Let's Encrypt is offering SSL certificates for free. You should be able to install a certificate they issue they same as from any other CA. No integration should be necessary.

Hi Matthew,

That's true and it would work, however Let'sEncrypt is designed to roll the certificate regularly (monthly?). This would mean manually importing the new certificate into IceWarp every time, which isn't really viable. If it was integrated then the process would be automatic.

Cheers,
    J

"Importing" is really only a matter of copying the PEM file to the config directory and restarting services. That can be done with a short BAT file. I haven't looked into the process of obtaining certificates from Let'sEncrypt, but if they are short term then I assume you will have some script running regularly to renew the certificate and that script could do the couple extra steps to install the certificate.

If you do have such a script can you share it with the rest of us? Thanks,

Bill

Actually, there's no need for the script, there will be integrated support for requesting certificates from Let's Encrypt in a future release.

I know this is an old thread but I stumble upon it looking for Let's Encrypt support. My support request got the following response:

"You will need to be running version 11.4.6 or later. There is a built in wizard under System>Certficates to request the signed Let's Encrypt cert. The process is automated and consists of a few clicks."

Hope this helps.

Dan

I know this is old but in case someone like me is looking for an answer... IceWarp Version 11.4.6 and later have a built in wizard that includes automated support for Let's Encrypt. One caveat (especially those that upgraded to Windows 10) is that if Microsoft IIS is running, Let's Encrypt will not be able to access http on the IceWarp web server. It turns out that when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the IIS was automatically started without my knowledge. Check and see if "World Wide Web Publishing Service" is running and if it is, disable it and restart your IceWarp services. This will allow IceWarp webserver to control http for Let's Encrypt verification.

Another item to note is that just clicking on "check for updates" in the help section of IW administration console will not upgrade you to newer versions. We were running 11.4.0.5 and I had to download and install the latest version manually (which is now up to version 12).

Hope this helps someone from banging their head on this one.

Cheers,
    Dan

Hello,

My Icewarp version is 11.4.6 and I want to use Let's Encrypt. When I create a Let's Encrypt certificate with Icewarp Server Certificates menu a certificate created but no Expiration information (it is empty) and Set as default is inactive. What should I do? Best regards.

+ Reply to Thread